Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Girls (and boys) just wanna have fun

My mother says, "When you gonna live your life right?"
Oh, mother, dear,
We're not the fortunate ones,
And girls,
They wanna have fun.


Someone passed me the YouTube link to a song from not-so-long ago.

As a pimply boy, I got teased quite a lot for listening to Cyndi Lauper's songs. Punk had arrived in Singapore a few years before. It was also the era of flashy clothes and Centrepoint Kids. Going to a "good" school, it wasn't easy being different from others, especially if that difference was perceived with a negative tint.


Photo: www.cyndilauper.com


I had an oppressive childhood and that is the main contributing factor to my liking for anything anti-establishment. The question that's constantly in my mind is, "Why can't you leave me alone to do my things?"

And I must add that the best thing that happened to me is being married to Wifey. I can get away with a lot of things with her. Heck, I even envision Faith dressing up like Cyndi Lauper when she grows up. Now THAT would be interesting...

No comments: