Monday, July 18, 2005

back to work...

...and what a 3-week this has been. First thing that hit me from the news was the NKF affair. I'm sure everyone's had their fill of related news and thoroughly sick of it and hearing about it. Let's hope the only people that really matter in this case, the kidney patients, would escape from this storm-in-the-teacup unscathed. After all, we can argue about expensive toilet fittings & 1st class air travel perks until the cows come home while kidney patients can only sit there and hope no one pulls their lifelines from the machines...

Landing at work wasn't as bumpy as I'd expected. Had to do some legwork but seems most things didn't derail as much while I was away. Mailbox didn't hit the roof. Lab's quiet. Everyone (almost) is smiling. Was running around town with wifey yesterday the thing that struck me was how much Melbourne CBD has become Singapore. Crowded, full of Asians, people smoking at every outdoor area. Perhaps the only difference, and this aspect will remain different, is that nobody minds who or what you are in Melbourne while everyone's a busybody trying to run our lives back in Singapore. The incessant barrage of propaganda from the media hit us straight after walking into Changi's arrival area, via TV mobile, CNA, etc from plasma screens spaced every 10 metres. Very 1984-esque lah...

Had my first commute on the bus this morning and understood why I bought that MP3 player in the first place. TV mobile trying to squeeze itself between my ears again. What a change from the Melbourne subway & trams where the only sound you hear are the engines' (no, not even loud & obnoxious ringtones).

Oh, and how could I forget, the clean toilets in Melbourne...

blah...

No comments: