Saturday, May 20, 2006

The role of schools


Image from www.twainquotes.com


Education consists mainly in what we have unlearned
- Mark Twain

*

What is education?
What enables a person to regard himself as an educated person?

I spent most of my life around the school environment and the most valuable lesson learnt is that there are as many opinions about what education is as there are people.

Acquiring textbook facts
Getting a degree
Getting a socially acceptable job
Keeping up with the Jones'

So, if you're a parent with kids of school-going age, ask yourself these questions:

Why am I sending my child to school?
Am I letting the school do my duty as a parent?

I'm afraid such questions go deep. If you don't understand the significance then the best thing to do now is to get re-acquainted with meaning of parenthood...

No comments: