Thursday, August 07, 2008

Of poetry, song and music

Mankind expresses its hopes and dreams through art, music, song, poetry.

The citizens of 1984-ville mark 43 years of independence this Saturday. Fighting off cynicism about the country's future, I went around looking at national anthems. It's clear that people all around the world wish for peace, happiness and we celebrate bravery.

It's ironic that I cried buckets after listening to this girl sing The Star-Spangled Banner. Ironic because the anthem of an alien country with an alien culture touches me more than my own.

Words have as much meaning as we are willing to give.

Freedom, happiness and bravery.

I sincerely wish for a better place here in 1984-ville and that we get a chance to put right all the things that have gone awry.

When you hear the National Anthem or the National Pledge the next time, ponder on the meanings.

Peace to you.

And do not let anyone or anything crush your spirit.

No comments: