Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter Solstice 2011

Reflected on my post about the winter solstice of 2007, especially the part on the relevance of marking this occasion in the tropics.



Well, I'm in the thick of winter now at 31 degrees north of the Equator. It was cold today and the sun set around 4.30pm.

I'm looking forward to longer days back in Singapore. And of course when my family comes back to Shanghai towards the end of January. Most of all, I'm looking forward to joining my family. I imagine the mandarins that were sent to faraway posts, returning once a year for the winter break to join their families. Suddenly the term "year-end block leave" takes on a significance it never had for me.

Let me wish one and all a happy reunion time this winter solstice as you go home to loved ones.

No comments: