Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Tiring week to come

Another week of work and more work...

Had lunch with an old acquaintence/friend/ex-schoolmate of mine who's more or less freed himself from the social shackles of being a "good" medical doctor. Thought provoking half-hour with him. Never knew anyone can really cruise through 5 years of slavery bond with MOH without losing much sweat. Of course, he paid a heavy social price in terms of performance grading/evaluation and career advancement with the establishment. However I suspect that many of our peers are envious of people who had the courage to step out the rat race and thumb our noses at social conventions.

So, Zed, if you're reading this, my best wishes to you and your wife. I will remember the days when we ran the MacRitchie circuit together with the rest of the bunch during a kinder and gentler era.

On another not-so-nostalgic note, Faith is popping out soon. Wifey has ever-so-swollen feet. You know, after almost 9 months of this journey, all I wish is for this to be over and done with so we can get into the serious business of training our daughter into another social convention buster. I was just telling Wifey I wouldn't know how to react if our daughter wants to follow her dad and enrol in med school. Wifey, in her usual sage-like mood, replied, "Just do lah."

Right. Just do lah. Not in Singapore, not if I can help it. There were many things that I disagreed with in my years here and I don't think they changed much of it, given how entrenched mindsets are.

Ironic thing is that I've been given the task of teaching human physiology to a bunch of secondary school kids. Sigh. Just when I thought I had escaped the shackles of Guyton and Ganong...


Photos from Google image search

No comments: