Saturday, December 15, 2007

Lasik (Part 3), or The Second Skin

The best non-medical invention that came along, in terms of myopia correction, is the contact lens. They fit on the cornea like a second skin, providing clear vision in the entire field-of-view, unlike spectacles where there's always a blind-zone outside of the frame.


Photo credit: Bryan Tong Minh

I got into the act quite late, having worn my first pair only at 18. This came about after running too many competitive cross-country races stumbling over roots and shrub without the benefit of wearing my 500-degree glasses. The only time I did wear glasses while competing, I ended having them flung off my nose while trying to catch up with the guy in front of me during the last leg.

The trick to wearing contact lenses is to keep them on short and keep them clean. Cleanliness is paramount. It was something that I took for granted and ended up with two bouts of conjunctivitis. Simple rules apply. Always wash hands before handling, never wash lenses with tap water.

As a result of those two bouts of infecton, I could no longer put on contact lenses without getting sore eyes after 2 hours of wearing. And my eyes would ache for a few days after that. So ended my tryst with the contact lens.

__________

No comments: