Monday, December 17, 2007

The quirks of urban living

Before I go to the story I must state on record that I'm NOT bored with life and the most serious vandalism I ever did was missing my aim at the men's room while half-drunk with 40% Bacardi.

Whatever...

Earlier this evening, a friend told me that the buttons in the lifts of HDB blocks could be "re-booted", much like pressing Ctr-Alt-Del on a Windows OS. Apparently what happened was that punks had been jabbing all the buttons, resulting in much annoyance to the next person taking a ride. Imagine visiting every floor before you reach your destination.

Anyway, this friend of mine found out that, at least in the lifts serving the block he lives in, he could cancel all the activated buttons by simultaneously pressing three buttons. Neat little Easter egg for defeating all those punks.

Well anyway, as you can see from the time stamp of this blog post, I am feeling insomniac. Guess what's the best way to kill time in the middle of a dark and silent night, besides blogging? Of course, it's to conduct scientific tests. Heh.



So, I went into the lift at my place and randomly pressed a few buttons. It turned out that if I pressed more than three buttons, not necessarily simultaneously, the activated buttons would be de-activated, reverting back to stand-by mode.

A pretty interesting Easter egg. It prevents itchy-fingered kids from doing their stuff but the lift cannot serve more than three floors at a time.

__________

No comments: