Saturday, August 01, 2015

Reflections on the Proverbs - Day 1

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

I used to think that, as a school teacher, dealing with knowledge was my job. Until I read that part of the first Proverb again today. The word "but" links a two-part sentence. We are exhorted to gather knowledge by fearing God. This is contrasted, by "but", with what foolish people would not do, that is, to get knowledge. What is this knowledge that fools despise? Wisdom and instruction. So knowledge is, in fact, not so much what I tell the kids about Science and Maths in my daily interaction with them, but rather, wisdom (the ability to discern between good and evil) and instruction (the willingness to obey God).

Join me, if you like, in reading one Proverb chapter every day for the month of August. Thirty-one days, thirty-one chapters. Unchanging, uncompromising wisdom and instruction.

No comments: