Monday, January 09, 2006

The weight of Glory...


Image from Google


so I've lost 3 kgs over the past fortnight, probably caused by the hectic rush to complete my thesis and to settle into a new work environment. I'm now 1 kg away from what I weighed during college days, when I was most fit and packed with muscle. I suspect the weight loss this time round was a result of a loss of fat without any gain in musculature. Anyway, it's a good thing my weight didn't drop to teenage years when I was only 63 kg at 1.76m. At that time, I was so scrawny that one of my uncles suspected I was on drugs.

Spent the weekend with the church guys at some run-down golf resort in JB to map out directions for what we're going to do in the coming year. A very strong message that came to me was this:

Go to the ant, thou sluggard; learn from her ways and be wise

LT asked the visiting pastor about work commitment, which turned into a whole discussion on priorities in life. And I learned that the mundane decisions we make everyday have far-reaching implications in how we conduct our lives at a higher level. I mean, would I take a promotion at work if the higher portfolio's going to eat into family time? Is it merely getting more money that drives us to work longer hours or the fear of what will happen if we don't? Do we have the courage to walk away when things at work get out of hand?

I need to be wise indeed. When to work hard and when to let go. We need the weight of Glory to be upon us for all these decisions.

On a lighter note, we will attempt the stanchart marathon again with the ladies joining us for the first 10 km. Let's see how the preparations turn out through the year. Maybe something good will turn out from this expanded running group.

No comments: