Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Exit plan

We will be in Shanghai until 2012 if plans are not changed. I'll need to work on an exit plan soon, not just from the company but also from this line. It's been an interesting 4 years as a teacher. By 2012, I will have done the same thing for 6 years. That is a long time by my standard. I'm looking for a new direction at work, please pray with me.

Thinking of working in a library or in a line that handles information. Archival, retrieval, classification, dissemination, transformation, search engines. We process information on a daily basis without giving it much thought. I think of all the data banks in the world and wonder. How does it get organized? How do I find anything of use? I first encountered this problem of getting useful information during my research days. Getting all that relevant references for a simple paper took a lot of effort. You'll appreciate the complexities involved in selecting data if you've done any sort of referencing.

Maybe all the browsing through WIkipedia is getting to me.

For now, that old Queen song "I Want To Break Free" is ringing in my head...

No comments: