Thursday, September 08, 2005

some happy photos

Well, I'm officially stuck at home for a third day due to a bad back & churning stomach. Getting better so decided to edited some photos for fun & laughter. Hopefully things get better after these few days of enforced R&R. Wifey has been brilliantly managing things and finding time to conduct physiotherapy sessions for me.


Black-and-white never get outdated

CQ's style is more action-oriented while I'm into a formal approach, especially when it comes to weddings where a couple's photos may still look acceptable on their diamond anniversary. Maybe that's why I never progressed far beyond the level of pose-smile-shoot for my skills in portraiture. The furthest I'd venture into the contemporary is probably like the next composition. Notice both are approaching the traditional high-key kind of lighting.


The trite groom-in-background composition

Perhaps the most important truth I've learnt in portraiture, and maybe photography itself, is that one needs to get to know one's subjects intimately. In portrait photography this allows for greater client-photog interaction, helping a clammy subject loosen-up and really let his/her personality shine through the photos.


Personally I'd use the square format anytime.

Notice the photos of myself and CQ (taken vice-versa) show more life than those of the wedding couple. Simply due to the fact that CQ and I were more comfy with each other than I was with the couple. Maybe this is the only advice I'm qualified enough to give to anyone thinking of going into this line.


Good posture is important not just for photos but for health

Well, CQ's thinking about the next studio project, which is going to be BIG and PRODUCTIVE, if it materializes, heh...for now it's under wraps...

Anyway, do drop by CQ's website and take a look at his portfolio + services offered. OK, OK, so he's a friend and I'm plugging for him, but, hey, I know good service when I smell it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

andrew, you getting ok?? quite a few days since your sprained back already... is it getting better?? take care!

misunderstood said...

bad back? i highly recommend a chiropractor @ nippon medical care, gleneagles.