Saturday, October 11, 2014

Why I left Shanghai - epilogue

Teaching can be quite draining work, and over the last three to four years I became detached from my students and colleagues, going into auto-pilot mode to conserve my emotion while neglecting to draw from the Source. A stagnant body of water that receives and does not give becomes dead. This is a time of rest before the longer journey ahead. The way is unknown except to God.

I realize I have the freedom to leave the job in Shanghai, without having to worry about putting food on the table as long as I do the work of God. This work is simply to believe and obey. This then is why I left Shanghai. First to get rested, then followed by reconciliation of wounded relationships, after that other work will line up for my family. God is providing a lamp before my feet, showing me just enough for the next step. Any farther revelation negates the exercise of faith that’s necessary for intimacy with the Lord.

My gut feel is to return to China, where the harvest of souls is indeed plentiful but the labourers insufficient. It is a nation existing in a spiritual vacuum - thanks to six decades under the state ideology of atheism. God has prepared the Chinese to receive Him, the One true God. After that the Gospel will cross Central Asia. I want to be a part of this wave to welcome them who are pressing into the kingdom of God.

I began writing these short notes as a reminder to myself, so I don’t lose my bearing. But I would like to share more with you who are reading this and taking an interest. Part of my time in Singapore includes obeying a command from my Lord Jesus, to “return to thine own house, and show how great things God hath done unto thee.” God has indeed done great things for me. I would like to share more with you, beyond what is written here. Please contact me if you wish to.

May the Spirit of God draw you close to the Father in heaven, through Jesus the Son.

No comments: