Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Why I left Shanghai

Some have asked me the reason for my departure. I’m also writing this to clarify my thoughts, so many things happened over the past six years that it is difficult for me to remember everything.

The most direct would also be the most appropriate. It starts with what my Lord, Jesus, said to a bunch of people who wanted to follow Him but were hesitant because of other commitments. Jesus’ reply was, “No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”

So here was His reply to me, a self-proclaimed Christian, by definition a follower of Christ. Knowing that I had, and am still looking back, didn’t sit well with me. There is a feeling in me that I am living a life less than true. That I am unfit for the kingdom of God.

A conversation with an older and wiser Christian brother one Saturday morning had me questioning my interpretation of the truth, much like Pilate, who asked, what is truth? I came to recognize that I don’t have a firm handle of what truth really is. I had missed the truth even as it was out in plain sight. In reply to Thomas’ question about finding the way to God, Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth…” So truth isn’t a concept, idea, or agenda. Truth is a person, and that person is Jesus Christ.

No comments: