Thursday, October 02, 2014

Why I left Shanghai pt 2

By the summer of 2012 I didn't know what I was doing in Shanghai anymore, having gone there on a response to a small ad in the Jobs section of the Straits Times in 2008. Life was comfortable as a high-school teacher on an expatriate package in a low cost city. But (there's always this word with a big fat B) something was eating me inside. I blamed it on everyone else but my own lack of gratitude.


Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.


Husbands & fathers will agree with me that one of the first signs that something isn't right with a man is when he stops talking to his wife. It's easy to hide behind a veneer of respectability when a man is outside of the home. We were a picturesque family of harmonious smiles, but I had stopped communicating with my wife. That was not the way God intended any marriage to be. That wasn't the truth.


She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.


Just like the Godly wife whom wise King Lemuel wrote about, my wife began to pray for me, that He would give me a glimpse of His vision for China. She sensed my loss of vision, and asked God to show me His. A lesser woman would have prayed for the uncomfortable situation to be taken away. But that's not how things worked with God, and she knew God enough to know that.

Things started to happen in the winter of 2012/13. A series of events showing me that there are no coincidences in life.

No comments: