Tuesday, June 21, 2005

reminiscence

My dream about Carmen Sandiego and the subsequent comments brought back some fond memories of the 80s, the decade of optimism, rising income and, of course, teen-hood...

Here are some memorable stuff that popped into my mind. I'm making this up as they come to me so forgive me for any errors. (Note: all photos linked from Google search)

*****

Most memorable 80s movie: Beverly Hills Cop


This movie had me laughing my head off in the cinema. The best scene must have been the one where Eddie Murphy stuffed bananas into the exhaust pipe of a car, causing it to jam. Bronson Pinchot had a role in that movie as an effeminate art gallery with an ambiguous accent, which was another hilarious scene. The electronic score (known as Axel's Theme) for this movie is memorable too, listen to it here.

*****

Most memorable 80s music: Beat It


Try as I might, I cannot erase this song from my head. Such was the infectious guitar riff that I have to suppress myself from doing an air guitar solo whenever I hear it. Well, now that the gloved-one has been acquitted, expect more of this tune to fill out airwaves. By the way, that guitar riff was done by Eddie Van Halen, whom I consider, together with Slash and Brian May, the best axeman around.

*****

Most memorable 80s TV series: The Greatest American Hero


wah lao eh...what else can I say about this series...*slap forehead*
The ultimate story about an absolute loser who was handpicked by aliens to save the earth. Given a power suit way before Edna Mode was in fashion, he promptly loses the instruction manual (yes, I'm not kidding. Not sure about the guarantee card though) and spends the whole series trying to figure out the many functions (including ability to fly, turn invisible, etc) while battling crime syndicates. The theme song "Believe It or Not" was even a hit in the charts, I think. This series was such a blast.

*****

Most memorable 80s computer game: Ultima IV, Quest of the Avatar


This was the mother of all games. Yes, we had Lode Runner, we had Wavy Navy, we had Pac Man, we even had Carmen Sandiego. But Ultima IV was the game to solve, before the days of wimpy strategy guides, a real man (well, actually a teenager) with real guts bashed his way through the dungeons, gaining eighths, getting Dupre, Julia, Shamino, Geoffrey, Katerina, Jaana, Maria & Iolo to join your party. Finally raising the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom. Wish I could resurrect my Apple IIe again...

*****

Most memorable 80s hangout: Plaza Singapura

This is the very first shopping centre that mom brought me. First escalator ride experience, games arcade in the basement (20 cents a try!), air-con food centre, strange-looking sculptures. Try as they might, the new PS doesn't have its own distinctive feel, I guess all shopping malls have that manufactured look now. Anyone with photos of the old PS, please let me know, would love to take a look again...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the old plaza Singapore.... used to go there for my piano exams.... the McDonalds downstairs, the cafe on level 7, yes, of course the sculptures... one of them is outside Far East Shopping Centre whereas the other is in NUS Cultural Cenntre isst??

andrew said...

fwah, you're fast. Thanks for the tip. I'll go check them out. Shows you how long I've not been to town...